Monday, October 29, 2012

I am Google(and so can you)

Yes yes. clever title. Anyway, this time around, I'm tasked with searching Google for reliable sources of information to do with 4 images I have been provided with. Let's hop to it!


The first image is this letter. Searching this image didn't prove to be too difficult. Being me, I took the image and dragged it to the Google search bar. It turns out to be a letter from Eleanor Roosevelt. How do I know that? The first link was part of a U.S. history website. The section of the website is dedicated to Eleanor Roosevelt. I figured further searching would be redundant. I was wrong. I found the letter in question on the National Archives ".gov" website. The exact letter in question is here. Interesting extra tidbit, the National Archives have a tumblr where they post a different historical document every day. This picture was featured in one of them.

On to the next one then! My gut tells me that Google image search knows what it's doing, so I went for it again. Success! It seems this map chronicles the blacks(colored? pigmentally gifted?) during the civil rights movement in the 1960's when they were fighting laws in the south that disallowed certain public transportation privileges. Again, the first link brought me to, not something that included the same map, but an advanced interactive one that linked each stop to another page with more info.
Can I trust the website though? Most likely. The website looks professional and even has a link that takes you to the second website on Google. Guess what? It's PBS!

Maybe the third one can stump my superior searching capabilities. Nope. The third is an arrest warrant, more specifically part of one designated to Rosa Parks for sitting on the bus. How do I know that? It says here in this National Archives article about Rosa Parks' single act of defiance. There wasn't much to it, so how about a regular text search. I'll start with J.F. Flake Montgomery and..... the first result is a classmate. Well, I could work of hers, but that feels like cheating. The rest of the results aren't promising either. Maybe if I add something to the search. A given would be Police department..... nope. A different search entirely then. How about the date and location: Empire Theater, Montgomery Street, December 1 1955..... disregarding prior information, I can tell that this date is significant with Rosa Parks' arrest. It's a matter of following that train of thought. I searched Rosa Parks arrest and found the same article I was brought to by using the image search.

Continuing to roll with the trend, I threw the image into Google. While it seems that this image isn't very useful, Google associates it with the civil rights act of 1964. I figure I'll search for that then. The first website was Wikipedia, so I thought I would take a look. The exact image is there. It's labeled as the official roll call vote kept by the house clerk. Can I confirm it though? Another search for roll call vote 1964 gave me what I wanted. In the National Archives(again), it is shown what this list is and the context is explained. I tried the search again without image searching and had a great deal of difficulty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment